Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ashley, Aron and Hudson's Potential Australian Travelogue; Part One

Australia is one of the most diverse and exciting countries in the world. Aron & Ashley of Hither and Thither have said that they are planning a four week holiday and my mum and I could not think of a better place to explore for four weeks. So in order to inspire them we have prepared a 'travelogue' so they can get an idea of what australians would recommend to travelers!


Brisbane
Start by flying into Brisbane from LA, begin your adventure in an exciting and resilient city. A year on from the devastating floods that claimed the lives of 19 people, you can see why people are flocking to this city! It is alive with positive energy, to begin  drive up to Cairns and head to the great barrier reef, one of the seven wonders of the natural world. 



Image (source unknown)
 
Head back to Brisbane and begin exploring with your tastebuds!


From Brisbane’s riverside dining precincts to the lively urban villages and laid back charm of Moreton Bay and the Scenic Rim, Brisbane’s wining and dining is always exciting, modern with an eclectic twist.

Prepare for a culinary experience that is as diverse as the people who live here, with an innovative array of fine dining, hip contemporary restaurants, exotic international cuisine and laid back cafés, pubs and bars – all served up in dazzling city riverside locations, buzzing urban villages and elegant historical buildings.

The Scenic Rim and Country Valley draw an endless procession of visitors to the region for its wineries, country stays and small town charm - the menus can be as simple and as charming, or challenge the city’s best restaurants.

Moreton Bay is famous for serving the freshest and world’s best seafood straight from the ocean – be sure to try the incredible Moreton bay Bugs. With some of the world’s best farming areas nearby; you’ll be enjoying the new season’s fresh local produce to 

match the incomparable seafood. Check out visit brisbane  - where the above this info is from, for more brisbane ideas.


Make sure to take Hudson to Australia Zoo to see the koala's and then hire some bikes and ride around brisbane, before heading to your next stop.... 



For more information check out Tourism Brisbane here

Sydney 
Travel down to Sydney where you can just loose yourself for days, just walking around the city. You must go to Bill's in Surry Hills for breakfast and lunch. Checkout Icebergs, make sure you book because if you don't they wont seat you! The below are a few happy snaps from my adventures, (the bottom shots are the view from icebergs cocktail lounge) 




From Bondi, head back to the city and be sure to explore Paddington. Head to Pyrmont to see Adriano Zumbo's amazing dessert store (images below). Alternatively you can travel to Balmain, to his original store, you can take the Ferry from the Harbour and give Hudson a thrill. 


(images - source unknown)

Other things to do is early morning breakfast at Bourke Street Bakery (my fave) before a trip to the Museum of Contemporary Arts in the Harbour. Do a tour of the Opera House, and any of the walking tours that are on in August! Then head back to the Harbour which is also gorgeous by night.


Sydney is an culinary gem, David Leibovitz did the most incredible post on Sydney Dining, read it here. I never made it to Porteno (amazing churros), I will be going back to Sydney just to try it out!! Last time I was in Sydney with my family, we did a tour of the harbour by night on the ferry. Its fresh and really surreal!

Part two will cover, Melbourne and Hobart. Two of the most elegant and culturally astounding cities in Australia. 

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Betsy, this is so amazing!! Sounds like such a great trip and I can't wait to read the next installment! Whether we use it for this trip or a future one, thank you!

Betsy said...

Hi Ashley, I'm so glad that you like it! When I saw that you were planning a holiday I thought about all the wonderful places that you might venture. This got me thinking about how wonderful Australia was!

Please feel no pressure to come 'down under' on this adventure. I have really enjoyed profiling the country that I live in - It has made me realise why we are referred to as 'the lucky country' so, thank you!

cmb said...

I vote for Australia!! What a delightful trip this would be.

Betsy said...

Thanks cmb, I'm just about to start compiling my post on Western Australia, my home - and I think, the real Australia. hope you like it!

nic said...

Sydney truly is the greatest city! Whenever I travel away from here, I always look forward to coming home!

You can also walk across the Harbour Bridge (over the arch is a bit pricey), but also across the walkway, and there is a museum in one of the towers.

Don't forget Manly too! Get the ferry across and then go to the beach, any of the amazing restaurants or just go shopping.

And I agree, WA is such a beautiful part of the country too!

Betsy said...

Nic, I agree!! I have always wanted to do the Harbour Walk but don't have the sea legs for it. Manly is also a beautiful part of the world! I wish I was heading back to Sydney again soon!!

Kristina said...

Just recently moved from Switzerland to Melbourne and I loved your travelogue!! And yes, Ashley and Aron should definitely take Hudson down-under :)

Melissa said...

I absolutely reccomend coming to Australia! Melbourne is the best place by far (although I am totally biased as it's my home), but I thought as an Australian I may just reccomend a couple of things... It is cheapest to fly into Sydney or Melbourne from LA, Brisbane may be closer but most of our international flights leave through Sydney so it would be hard to find a direct flight to Brisbane. Also, while it is a fairly small town compared to the other major cities, Adelaide is very good for young families. It's easy to get around, has alot of free activities, and being so small it is possible to get out to the beautiful countryside in 20 minutes! The beach is also 15 minutes out of the city by tram. Hope this helps!