Thursday, March 17, 2011

book club

So a group of friends and I have started a book club and we are hopefully meeting for the first time this weekend. We are going to get an idea of the type of books that we want to read and the also the type of meetings that we want to have.

I'm not really a traditional kinda girl so i think we are all going to run riot with whacky ideas for adventures of the 20 something book club. 

We are trying to decide what to start with, I was thinking it may be nice to do the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society or Kathryn Stockett's The Help. 

I love books and movies that are set in the south of America. I love reading about the history and the food, the clothes and also the landscape. I read a great article in this months Vanity Fair (which is an amazing issue by the way) about 'Atlanta's Literary Sorority'. 


I was delighted to discover that "The Help" is being made into a movie by Dreamworks, called 'Kitty'. According to the article Kathryn Stockett, on the far right, is one of many young southern writers that is returning home to her roots to write about her heritage. In this article the author mentions a book written by his wife, Susan Rebecca White, called Bound South of similar subject matter. Not only does this book seem up my street, but I like the idea that all these women are writting about what the know and love, thier home and history. 

I'm not sure yet if they all have Stockett's candor about the issues that plagued the south for a long time, but if her beautiful book is anything to go by, I think that we will have a lot to keep us occupied.  

No comments: