Thursday, October 14, 2010

art adventures

Today I went to the most gorgeous art store in Subiaco. Gill-Hille Merchants, run by local artist Murray Gill and his wife Juanita Gill-Hille. You can expect to find some of the most unusual and exciting art utensils in this store.  


When I walked in today there was an overwhelming smell of turps, which was so nice as it suggests that this is not only an art store, but a working studio. Murray paints here during the day and it was so great to see him floating around, I was constantly wondering what he was thinking and what he would be painting next. 


The store sells seedlings out the front that are lush and green, inviting customers into to purchase a punnet of tomatoes or mint, they are then swept up in the excitement of giant manga textas and artisan pastel crayons. 


There is also a selection of twine and brushes for any mixed media experiments that you may have planned. You could even use them for decorating an empty space in your home.


The range of bespoke papers that Gill-Hille offers is enough to make the journal'ers heart race. 



This store was such a visual feast, everywhere I looked I wanted to squeal with excitement. I felt like a little girl on christmas eve, knowing that all my christmas wishes were about to come true. 




The fusion of old and new in this store is seamless and ever so harmonious I wanted to get lost in the store for hours. I did at one point when I went into the paint room. 

What was so wonderful about this experience was the feeling that the store had. It was like a candy store for artists. I would say that this would have to be one of my favourite places to visit in all of Perth. 








 For more information please contact the store on 08 9388 8882. 


No comments: